June 2010

Friday, April 17, 2009

Beach Day
















We took the girls to the beach today. It was quite windy and the water was so chilly, but we had fun. Since Easter is behind us now, Shawn took off yesterday so we went to the park and then today we headed for the white sands and emerald water. We were going to stop in Fort Walton, base side, but the water looked very murky, so we headed for our fav spot, Henderson Beach State Park. It was nice because it was not very crowded. It did not feel very hot today which made it very nice. It was so windy that we did not put up the tent we borrowed. We got away later than we wanted this morning, but I think that was actually for the best so that the day could warm up a bit. We had lunch at the beach, although Hannah kept snacking for most of the morning as soon as we arrived! Abigail tried the water but decided the waves were a little big and also cold! Hannah would not go near the water (no surprise). We made sandcastles and Hannah made sure that we put the sand back (knocked them down). I found a huge hole someone had dug in the sand and we were all able to get inside at the same time. The girls had a great time playing inside that. Abigail found a ladybug that took her interest for at least half an hour. I was trying to reapply sunscreen and was a little too zealous and got some in my poor baby's eyes (Hannah) and then she put her sandy hands up to rub them and got sand in her eyes. She couldn't even open her right eye for a while, so I took her up to shower off and she did not like that. Then I had Shawn help me and we poured some bottle water in her eye to wash it out and that made everyone turn to see what in the world we were doing. Hannah then rested with her head on her shoulder. I asked her if she was ready to go home and she shook her head yes. Poor baby! I held her while Shawn packed up our gear. I then started off with Hannah in one arm, a lot of the beach gear in the other and keeping an eye on my curious preschooler toting her buckets behind me, still searching for shells. I can't help but remember the John Candy movie from the 80s where he and his family go to the beach. He is lugging all this gear and smashing into people as he goes. I always feel like that when we go to the beach. You have your towels, tent, food, extra clothes, chairs.....My arms were very thankful when we got to the car. I don't know why I don't look like a body builder yet with as much stuff as I carry - especially my 27 lb baby! After we loaded the car, I took the girls to change clothes and go potty and then we headed for home. We stopped by the store and got Hannah an eye wash solution (yep, made her cry again, what terrible parents!) After washing her eye and giving her some yummy treats, she was much happier and looked better. She did not fall asleep on the way home and entertained us quite a bit by being goofy while sister watched 101 Dalmations (Pongo movie). We made it home in time for a short nap. Sorry there are not more pics, the batteries quit in my camera. If you noticed there are no pics of me at the beach, on purpose!

No comments: